How to get a QTS

How to get a QTS

1223 views | Alice | 09-03-2021

Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) or Qualified teacher learning and Skills status (QTLS) is mandatory for teachers and trainers who teach in local schools in England and Wales. You must have an undergraduate degree to attain a Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

There are two ways to get QTS. First of all, you must have a minimum C grade in English and Mathematics in your GCSEs to qualify to become an instructor. Considering you have got the desired grades and are planning to enroll in your undergraduate degree, you should opt for a bachelor's in Education. However, if you have already completed your Undergraduate Degree, you can opt for a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET). 

QTLS or QTS is recognised in various countries including UAE, The United Kingdom and across Europe. If you plan to teach in a state school in the UK, you must complete the ‘Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT)’ period before claiming the Qualified Teachers Status (QTS). The NQT is a one-year probation period (3 school terms). It is the 1st year of teaching after attaining the QTS.

The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training

The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training allows you to gain a Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status. You can enroll in a Level 5 DET after completing an Undergraduate Degree in your area of specialism. This is a 2 year, 120 credit qualification which qualifies teachers or trainers to teach across a wide range of Further Education (FE) and Higher Education (HE) institutions, Colleges, Training Providers, etc in the UK and abroad. This enables you to teach adults in your area of specialism.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education

PGCE is a 1-year course usually done after a graduate degree. It enables you to enroll directly into a Master’s Degree. It is coordinated by universities where students spend most of their time working at placement schools.

There are 3 different types of PGCEs.

  1. Primary Education Teaching, i.e ages 3 – 11
  2. Secondary Education Teaching, i.e ages 11-16
  3. Post-16 and Further Education, i.e ages 16 and further

Whichever path you chose to get QTS, you will have to look into the age range you plan to teach. However, it is ideal to opt for The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training as it is completely Online, Self-paced and ELN offers great value for money too. The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training enables you to get enrolled in colleges in the UK, UAE and certain regions of Europe to teach Adults in your areas of specialism.



Share this Post

Related Articles

  • What is Postgraduate Certificate in Education?

    What is Postgraduate Certificate in Education?

    PGCE is an acronym for Postgraduate Certificate in Education. The PGCE enables you to be a professional teacher and is useful for individuals looking to get into training. It is a worldwide recognised qualification which you can easily get in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. It is equivalent to a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) in Scotland.

  • Should I do the PGCE or DET?

    Should I do the PGCE or DET?

    PGCE and DET are both initial teacher training (ITT) qualifications that teachers and trainers take on to progress in their careers. Now the question is, which qualification is the best for you? If you’ve been wondering “Should I do the PGCE or DET?” then you will find all the answers below.

Comments (0)