What do I need to become an SIA trainer

What do I need to become an SIA trainer

4081 views | Amna | 22-04-2022

What do I need to become an SIA trainer and progress in my career?

The Security Sector in the UK is a multi-billion dollar industry. There are 400,000 licensed security operatives actively working in the country. After the US, Japan, China, and Germany, however, the UK stands fifth in the global security market. 

Post-Brexit, the UK became more vigilant about security at the local level. Therefore, areas that gained the most importance are surveillance technologies and managed services. 

What is an SIA trainer?

An SIA trainer is licensed and qualified to deliver training courses to individuals seeking to obtain a license to work in the security industry. The Security Industry Authority (SIA) is responsible for regulating the security industry in the UK.

This industry's growth is helping people choose the security industry as a profession. However, like all growing industries, this brings up the need to train more professionals; prepare new Door Supervisors and CCTV Operatives. Indeed each position needs professional training to ensure the security is not compromised, from a Doorman to a Security guard.

This ongoing training creates a requirement for more trainers, which is why many people want to become security trainers.

How to become an SIA Instructor?

Do you enjoy teaching in the classroom? Do you like to help your students gain the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in their security careers?

As a security trainer, you can impart the knowledge to your students as they prepare to acquire the skills. Empower them with the education needed to work at the front lines of the security industry. 

What qualifications do you need to become an SIA trainer?

Following are the qualifications that are required to become an SIA trainer.

Level 3 Award in Education and Training (AET / PTLLS Course) 

The first and foremost requirement to become an SIA trainer is a teaching qualification. ELN offers a Level 3 Award in Education and Training (AET) course. Watch the SIA Trainer course webinar by our five-star rated AET tutor, giving an overview of the course. He talks about what this course covers, and career opportunities, and answers your frequently asked questions about studying the course online with us. 

Within the context of the security industry, this trainer training course will qualify you to teach all level 2 and level 3 security courses, including Door Supervisor, CCTV, Security Guarding, Event Stewarding, etc.

Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (CET / CTLLS Course)

Our Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (CET) will help you be a trainer for higher-level qualifications in the security trainer training sector. If you have frontline experience in Close Protection, the CET is a better qualification for you if you want to become a Close Protection trainer. 

AET is a Level 3 qualification, and CET is a Level 4, so you have to choose one according to your requirements and qualifications. If you lack experience in Close Protection, then Level 3 AET trainer training is an economical and quicker option.

Types of SIA trainer jobs

There are several types of SIA trainer jobs, each with their own specific requirements and responsibilities. The most common types of SIA trainer jobs include:

Door supervisor trainer

Your job is to train learners seeking the door supervisor license. You will train on topics regarding security for licensed premises like, how to ensure the safety and security of people entering and exiting, conflict management, physical intervention etc.

Security guard trainer 

Your job will be to train individuals seeking to become licensed security guards, who are responsible for the protection of people on unlicensed property.

Close protection trainer

As a close protection trainer you will train people in providing personal security for individuals such as celebrities, executives, or high net worth individuals. Depending on the course, this may also include overseas firearms training. It is overall a very intensive 2-week course therefore requiring a higher level of trainer training i.e. the Level 4 CET as explained earlier.

CCTV operator trainer 

You will teach individuals seeking to become licensed CCTV operators. You will teach them to monitor and operate closed-circuit television systems for the purpose of security and safety. This includes theory as well as practical assessments in operating different types of CCTV equipment.

Public space surveillance (PSS) trainer

If you have experience as a licensed PSS operative, then with security trainer qualifications you can become a PSS trainer. You will teach your learners to monitor and operate surveillance systems in public spaces to ensure public safety.

SIA trainer jobs may be full-time or part-time, and may require additional qualifications or experience depending on the specific type of training being delivered. So always ensure you speak to your potential employer about which SIA trainer training courses they need you to do.

What is the salary of an SIA trainer?

The average SIA Security trainer's salary is around £28,000 - £35,000 annually. The per hour rate for SIA Security trainer ranges from £130 to £150.

SIA Assessor Course

Indeed our classroom assessor course is suitable for you if you plan to progress further in your teaching expertise. 

According to recent changes by Ofqual and the SIA, if you want to be a fully qualified SIA trainer, then you must also do an assessor course. However, you can choose to do the Assessor Unit 1 only or the Classroom Assessor Course (Units 1 & 3). With proper qualifications and experience, you can be an excellent asset to the industry. 

Become an SIA trainer if you want to upgrade in your security career. Contact Us if you want further guidance from our support team. 




Share this Post

Related Articles

  • A Guide to the PTLLS Qualification
    AET Blogs 1092 views

    A Guide to the PTLLS Qualification

    The PTLLS qualification is now called the Level 3 Award in Education and Training (AET). It is an online train-the-trainer course. This online course qualifies you to train 16-year and older learners in your specialist area. It includes all fundamental teaching techniques, such as lesson planning, assessment methods, classroom management, and other techniques.


  • How to become a Hospitality Trainer
    AET Blogs 1768 views

    How to become a Hospitality Trainer

    How do I become a hospitality trainer and progress in my career? Our Train the trainers qualifications help hospitality trainers and assessors to upgrade their career opportunities. Have you worked in the field and now want to upgrade your skills? ELN The e-Learning Network offers many Trainer and CPD courses for you to upskill yourself.

Comments (0)