Wondering how we will assess you during the COVID-19 lockdown? Read our ELN COVID-19 Assessment Strategy for more details. We will make sure we support you through to completion at this difficult time.
This NVQ Assessor course will provide you with an understanding of the principles and practices of assessment. It is the knowledge based unit of the Level 3 Assessor Courses – part of our robust Training, Assessment and Quality Assurance (TAQA) portfolio.
You do not need access to any learners for this unit, in fact it is a great opportunity for CPD for trainers and teachers to expand their knowledge of assessment.
If you are looking for a more interactive classroom like experience, you can check our virtual/live Assessor course.
Course Credits: 3
Course Duration: 3 months
This course is part of the Level 3 TAQA suite and is an NVQ qualification. Since it is a knowledge based unit there is no requirement for prior or current Assessor experience. In fact doing this theory unit can boost your job prospects if you want to prove to a potential employer that you have knowledge of Assessment in the FE sector.
This is 'half' the Assessor course and once you have access to learners you can come back and do the practical unit(s).
If you want to be qualified to assess learners in their workplace you will need to add the Unit 2 with this theory unit which makes the L3 Award in Assessing Competence in the Work Environment.
If you assess your learners in a classroom or simulated environment then you'll need to add on the Unit 3 of the Assessor course with this unit. This makes up the L3 Award in Assessing Vocational Skills, Knowledge and Understanding.
If you assess your learners both 'on the job' and in a classroom setting then you would need to add both Units 2 & 3 of the Assessor qualification which makes the L3 Certificate Assessing Vocational Achievement.
This course is available for all candidates who fulfil the following criteria:
Age range: 19+
Core skills: There are no formal entry requirements for this training course however candidate must have reading and writing skills in order to complete the course
Access to Internet using a laptop / pc / tablet using up to date Windows, Android or Apple operating systems.
Would you like to read in more detail what the ELN Level 3 Assessor courses entail? Download our course brochure now!
Units and Learning Outcomes
- Understand the principles and requirements of assessment
- Explain the function of assessment in learning and development
- Define the key concepts and principles of assessment
- Explain the responsibilities of the assessor
- Identify the regulations and requirements relevant to assessment in own area of practice
- Understand different types of assessment method
- Compare the strengths and limitations of a range of assessment methods with reference to the needs of individual learners
- Understand how to plan assessment
- Summarise key factors to consider when planning assessment
- Evaluate the benefits of using a holistic approach to assessment
- Explain how to plan a holistic approach to assessment
- Summarise the types of risks that may be involved in assessment in own area of responsibility
- Explain how to minimize risks through the planning process
- Understand how to involve learners and others in assessment
- Explain the importance of involving the learner and others in the assessment process
- Summarise types of information that should be made available to learners and others involved in the assessment process
- Explain how peer and self-assessment can be used effectively to promote learner involvement and personal responsibility in the assessment of learning
- Explain how assessment arrangements can be adapted to meet the needs of individual learners.
- Understand how to make assessment decisions
- Explain how to judge whether evidence is sufficient, authentic, current
- Explain how to ensure that assessment decisions are made against specified criteria, valid, reliable, fair
- Understand quality assurance of the assessment process
- Evaluate the importance of quality assurance in the assessment process
- Summarise quality assurance and standardization procedures in own area of practice
- Summarise the procedures to follow when there are disputes concerning assessment in own area of practice
- Understand how to manage information relating to assessment
- Explain the importance of following procedures for the management of information relating to assessment
- Explain how feedback and questioning contribute to the assessment process
- Understand the legal and good practice requirements in relation to assessment
- Explain legal issues, policies and procedures relevant to assessment, including those for confidentiality, health, safety and welfare
- Explain the contribution that technology can make to the assessment process
- Evaluate requirements for equality and diversity and, where appropriate, bilingualism in relation to assessment
- Explain the value of reflective practice and continuing professional development in the assessment process
Unit 1: Understanding the Principles and Practices of Assessment
Assessed by short theory assignments x 8 and 1 peer discussion.
Work documents can be used instead of theory assignments e.g. assessment reports, policies, procedures, assessment records etc
Frequently asked questions
Yes it is a BTEC qualification awarded by Pearson Edexcel.
Yes, all the courses and units are self-paced and can be combined with the practical units at a later stage.
Yes, you should complete the CAVA or Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement if you want to assess in the beauty industry as this will qualify you to assess your trainees in the classroom and work environment.
Yes you should do all 3 units in the Assessor TAQA course which will enable you to assess your learners in a classroom as well as on-site.
You can work part-time or voluntary. You can also do the theory unit now and add the practical unit later.
Yes the CAVA is ideal to qualify as a childcare Assessor and can be done alongside with your current role, this course wouldn't cause any issue.