Award in Understanding EQA - Overview
Who is this EQA theory course suitable for?
The theory unit on its own provides the Level 4 Award in Understanding the Principles and Practices of External Quality Assurance of Assessment. This is an excellent upgrade for anyone already qualified as an internal verifier who would like to learn more about the standards verifier process from an Awarding Body or regulatory point of view.
See the outline below to find out the content of this Standards Verifier or External Verifier course. It will help you improve your IQA practice and understand the External Verification process from the Awarding Body perspective.
If you are looking to become a fully qualified External Verifier or EQA then you should probably opt for the Level 4 Award in EQA instead.
How long will it take to complete the EQA Unit 1 course?
This course is a theory based NVQ course so you will be submitting mostly essay-based assignments online. It is a fast and easy way to get the first half of an External Verifier qualification under your belt! Your personal tutor will be with you throughout to support you through to course completion.
We provide 3 months to complete the course but have had people complete this within a week. It is self-paced so it's up to you how much time you can give to the assignments and complete the work.
Why do this Level 4 External Quality Assurance course?
- Get better prepared for your External Verification visits
- Progress your career and open up opportunities to work for UK Awarding Organisations
Why choose ELN?
- Unlimited Personal Tutor support - live 1:1 video tutorial for induction
- ISO 9001 and ISO 29993 certification - quality assured for your peace of mind
- Live Tutorials on Zoom with Peer Discussions
- Interest-Free Monthly Instalments - get full access to the course and tutor on the first payment
- No Hidden Charges
- Group Discounts - Contact us straight away
- Quick Certification - due to Direct Claims Status with all our Awarding Bodies
- Pearson Edexcel / NOCN accreditation - 2 of the largest Awarding Bodies in the UK and abroad
- Classroom-based in-house 3-4 day course + blended options available
EQA Unit 1 Course Credits: 6
EQA Unit 1 Course Duration: 3 months
Your tutor will conduct a detailed personalised 1:1 initial interview with you before you begin your Level 4 Qualification in External Quality Assurance. For more details, click to expand the 'Assessment' Tab below.
All the External Quality Assurance qualifications are based on the assessment strategy and qualification structures, devised originally by Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK), and are now owned by the Learning and Skills Improvement Service (LSIS).
Understanding EQA Course Requirements
The Level 4 Award in Understanding External Quality Assurance of Assessment is available for all candidates who fulfill the following criteria:
Age range: 19+
Core skills: Must have reading and writing skills in order to complete the course.
Access to Internet using a laptop / pc / tablet using up to date Windows, Android or Apple operating systems.
Be qualified and have experience working as an IQA for 2-3 years.
EQA Course Brochure
Would you like to read in more detail what the ELN Level 4 EQA course entails? Download our course brochure now!
L4 Award in Understanding EQA - Course Outline
- Understand the context and principles of external quality assurance
- Explain the functions of external quality assurance in learning and development
- Explain the key concepts and principles of the external quality assurance of assessment
- Explain the roles of practitioners involved in the external and external quality assurance process
- Explain the regulations and requirements for external and internal quality assurance in own area of practice
- Understand how to plan the external quality assurance of assessment
- Evaluate the importance of planning and preparing external quality assurance activities
- Explain what an external quality assurance plan should contain
- Summarise the preparations that need to be made for external quality assurance, including:
- Information collection
- Administrative arrangements
- Explain hoe to adapt external monitoring and evaluation approaches to meet customer need without compromising quality standards
- Understand how to externally evaluate the quality of assessment and internal quality assurance
- Explain the procedures for externally monitoring and evaluating internal quality assurance arrangements and practices
- Interpret the requirements for externally monitoring and evaluating internal assessment arrangements and practices
- Evaluate different techniques for externally sampling evidence of assessment, including those that use technology
- Understand how to externally maintain and improve the quality of assessment
- Critically compare the types of feedback, support and advice that internal assessment and quality assurance staff may need to maintain and improve the quality of assessment
- Evaluate standardisation requirements relevant to the external quality assurance of assessment
- Explain the importance of providing feedback, support and advice to internal assessment and quality assurance staff that is consistent with standardisation requirements
- Explain the relevant procedures to follow when there are disputes concerning quality assurance and assessment
- Understand how to manage information relevant to the external quality assurance
- Evaluate the requirements for information management, data protection and confidentiality in relation to the external quality assurance
- Understand the legal and good practice requirements for the external quality assurance
- Evaluate legal issues, policies and procedures that are relevant to external quality assurance, including those for health, safety and welfare
- Critically compare different ways in which technology can contribute to external quality assurance
- Evaluate requirements for equality and diversity and, where appropriate, bilingualism in relation to the external quality assurance of assessment
- Explain the value of reflective practice and continuing professional development in relation to external quality assurance
EQA Unit 1 Theory Assessments
Your tutor will conduct a detailed personalised 1:1 initial interview with you before you begin your Level 4 Qualification in External Quality Assurance.
Unit 1: Understanding the Principles and Practices of Externally Assuring the Quality of Assessment
3 x essay-style assignments
Assignments can be presented in various formats, including written discussion, tables, graphics, screenshots or examples of work-based evidence.
Work documents can be used instead of theory assignments e.g. IQA / EQA reports, policies, procedures, verification records etc
Real reviews by students like you!
Understanding EQA FAQs
Yes, although we recommend that you have IQA experience since the assignments require a thorough understanding of internal and external standards verification.
Yes it is an NVQ qualification awarded by Pearson Edexcel and it is recognised in the UK and around the globe. On the national framework the EQA Unit 1 Award is also classified as an NVQ.
No, once it is a registered awarding body and regulates qualifications in their region, sector or country then we can accept your work experience with them as evidence for the EQA course.
Yes, absolutely, in fact we train IQA’s and EQA’s who work in these organisations in the UAE and many other countries in the Middle East and Asia.
At the moment unfortunately, the organisations we had partnerships with cannot facilitate placements anymore so we are not offering them for any course. We apologise for the inconvenience.
Yes you can. The IQA course is not a pre-requirement for the EQA course although we strongly recommend it. You may choose to do the theory unit for the IQA first though as it will give you a perspective on the Internal Verification process before you start thinking about external verification. Click here for more details.
No. There is no requirement to have experience or qualification as an assessor to learn more about EQA, through this theory unit. We do recommend knowledge and/or experience as an IQA though, because it will help you answer the assignments.
Unfortunately, we are not currently offering the full Lead EQA or Lead External Verifier at this time.